September 16, 2021

When a non-parent seeks custody, he or she must prove that the parents are maladjusted and that it is in the best interests of the child to be in the custody of the non-parent. If you decide if you want to file a custody case, there are a few possibilities depending on the situation. You can apply for custody in the state where the children last lived if they spent six months there. You can wait until your children have spent at least six months in Alaska to apply in Alaska. There are sometimes exceptions to the six-month rule. Finding out where you can file your custody file can be very complicated, and you should talk to a lawyer to find out where the best place is to file your case. Alaska has a list of legal factors that are considered by the court when deciding on a custody decision. This list may contain factors such as the age of the child, the life situation of each parent, a history of abuse or neglect by a parent, etc. While there is a legal list of factors, you should consider other factors at your discretion, depending on the particular circumstances of the case.

Shared custody does not necessarily mean sharing time with the child 50/50. A joint custody plan should give the child sufficient time with both parents. If, in the meantime, you and the other parent are unable to figure out how to manage custody, you must apply for temporary custody. The other parent has the opportunity to respond to your request. The judge will likely have a brief hearing of one to two hours before making an interim custody order. .